As the official charity partner for NHS Lothian, we have been fundraising through our NHS Lothian COVID-19 Appeal to help boost the NHS response to Coronavirus and support NHS Lothian staff and patient wellbeing initiatives both during and in the recovery from the pandemic.
The generosity of the local community is already making a difference to NHS Lothian staff and patients. Here is a selection of some of the projects that we have funded so far:
- Tablets and mobile phones to allow patients who were isolated to keep in touch with loved ones while visiting restrictions were in place. Read our virtual visiting case study
- Provision of pop up wellbeing rooms, including recliner chairs, TVs, appliances and furnishings so that staff who were working long and busy shifts had a place to go to get some much needed rest, relaxation and downtime. Read our staff wellbeing spaces case study.
- Free foot massages to help relieve stress, delivered by professional complementary therapists (with approved PPE and social distancing).
- Wellbeing boxes for community health teams, including District Nurses, to ensure that they had the same access to support as teams in the hospitals. Boxes included sleep packs, toiletries such as handcream and lip balm, snacks, refreshments, car chargers and headphones as well as advice and guidance on how to look after their own health and wellbeing as they responded to the needs of their patients. Read our Hub in a Tub case study
- Wellbeing boxes for Scottish Ambulance Service teams to ensure they had access to hot food and refreshments while they waited to transfer an increased number of patients to hospital staff who were under increased pressure as a result of Coronavirus. Read our Scottish Ambulance Hub in a Tub case study.
- Accommodation costs for hotel rooms for staff who were self-isolating from their families. Read our staff accommodation case study.
- Hot food vending machines to ensure staff had access to hot meals during long and busy shifts.
- Baskets of fresh fruit for wellbeing rooms to ensure staff had access to healthy and nutritious snacks.
- Hot drinks, snacks and refreshments to keep staff hydrated and energised
- A staff listening service offered by the Spiritual Care Team to support NHS Lothian staff who were under extreme pressure during these challenging times.
- Art and activity packs to help reduce patient anxiety, depression and boredom, especially while visiting restrictions were in place. Read our Art and Activity Pack case study.
- Shopping vouchers to allow volunteers to quickly respond to patient needs while visitors were not able to drop off essentials for hospital stays.
- Food packages for patients who were going home with nothing in their cupboards or fridges and no initial access to food shopping.
We continue to be guided by staff on where their areas of greatest need are, so that we can respond flexibly to an ever-changing situation. They are the ones who are at the front line and they are the ones who know what will make the biggest difference for them and their patients.
The resilience of our NHS Heroes is absolutely essential as we look to the future and the lasting impact of COVID on their health and wellbeing. We are continuing to work with staff to understand how we can continue to support them as well as working with NHS Lothian on a number of longer-term initiatives to support our NHS colleagues both through this pandemic and beyond. Thanks to donations to our COVID-19 Appeal and grants received from NHS Charities together, we are taking forward the following projects, ensuring that we continue to be there for staff, patients and their families when they need us most:
• Establishing permanent staff wellbeing spaces at every NHS Lothian site
• Funding the provision of psychological therapy support for all staff
• Enhancing hospital to home patient support
How you can continue to help
We are overwhelmed by the support that we have already had to our appeal from everyone who wants to support their local NHS during a time when we are asking more of them than ever before. With ongoing donations, we can continue to be there for our NHS Heroes now and in the future as they continue to battle the ongoing effects of this virus and work tirelessly to keep us all safe.
If you would like to donate or link your fundraising activities to our COVID-19 Appeal, follow the link below to our JustGiving page.