Our project aims to address five key research areas:
- To evaluate four molecular multi-pathogen tests to ascertain which would be most suitable for routine diagnosis in terms of performance, automation and cost.
- To compare the chosen method of molecular detection to traditional culture methods for the diagnosis of gastroenteritis as a routine screening method.
- To determine if this approach results in greater bed availability and hence improves patient flow within NHS Lothian.
- Design a robust diagnostic algorithm based around the most suitable molecular methods and key clinical findings.
- All the information from study will be utilised to form a robust business case to improve patient flow if the technology is suitable.