At the Edinburgh and Lothians Health Foundation, we always aim to treat our donors and supporters with the highest level of care and respect. However we realise that sometimes we get things wrong, and regard complaints as an opportunity for us to reflect on our processes and practices, and strengthen and improve them. We promise to take all complaints seriously, and deal with them promptly and fully.
Please note that this procedure should not be used to make complaints regarding NHS Lothian. If you have a comment or complaint about NHS Lothian, please visit the Your Rights section of the NHS Lothian website.
Definition of a complaint
We define a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction with the Edinburgh and Lothians Health Foundation, where we have fallen short of reasonable expectations, and which requires a formal response.
How to make a complaint (Stage 1)
You can communicate your complaint to ELHF through any of the following channels:
- By telephone: call us on 0131 465 5850
- By mail: send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By letter: write to ELHF, 2nd Floor Waverley Gate, 2-4 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG
What we need to know
When you contact us with a complaint, please remember to tell us:
- What has happened: please describe your concerns as clearly and fully as possible
- Your contact details: in order for us to respond to your complaint
Who will deal with my complaint?
Your complaint will be passed to the most appropriate member of the team for investigation, depending on the nature of the complaint. For example, the Head of Fundraising would deal with fundraising complaints, while complaints relating to our grantmaking or arts programmes would be passed to the Grants Manager or Arts Manager respectively.
The complaints process is administered by the Director’s Office, and overseen by the Senior Team. The Director is informed of every complaint, in order to support a rapid and positive resolution.
What happens next?
We will try to resolve your concern as quickly as possible:
- We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days from receipt. Wherever possible, we will provide a full resolution to your complaint at the same time.
- Where your concerns require further investigation and we are unable to provide a full resolution as part of this initial response, our acknowledgement will include an expected timescale for our investigation and response, and a point of contact so you know who is managing your complaint.
- We will aim to provide a full response to your complaint within ten working days of receiving it; we expect to resolve most complaints within that timeframe.
What happens if I remain unsatisfied? (Stage 2)
We really hope that we are able to resolve your complaint in an honest, open and satisfactory way. However, if you are still unhappy you can write to the Chair of Trustees at the address above and ask for the complaint and response to be given further consideration.
Scottish Fundraising Standards Panel (Stage 3)
If your complaint relates to fundraising activity, and neither the Senior Team nor Trustees have been able to resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Scottish Fundraising Standards Panel
For a PDF transcript of our Complaints Procedure please access the Complaints Procedure (108 KB)